Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
The American Red Cross has an emergency shortage of convalescent plasma, a potentially lifesaving treatment for patients with COVID-19.
The Red Cross has seen demand for convalescent plasma more than double over the last month as the number of coronavirus cases increases across the U.S. Convalescent plasma products are now being distributed faster than donations are coming in.
Individuals who have fully recovered and received a verified COVID-19 diagnosis are asked to sign up to give convalescent plasma by completing the donor eligibility form at RedCrossBlood.org/plasma4covid.
Convalescent plasma is collected from patients who have recovered from an infection and have antibodies that might help fight that infection — in this case, those who have fully recovered from COVID-19. With each donation, COVID-19 survivors have a unique ability to help up to three patients recover from the virus.
The nonprofit is also urging all healthy individuals to give blood this summer in order to restock the shelves for patients battling disease and facing the unexpected.
Donation appointments can be made by downloading the free Blood Donor app, visiting RedCrossBlood.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or enabling the Blood Donor skill on any Alexa Echo device.
As a thank-you for helping ensure a stable blood supply, those who come to give blood, platelets or plasma, including convalescent plasma, from Aug. 1 through Sept. 3 will receive a $5 Amazon.com gift card via email.
To protect the health and safety of Red Cross staff and donors, individuals who don’t feel well or who believe they may be ill with COVID-19 should postpone their donation.
Blood drives are scheduled at the following locations:
• Aug. 13 — 3-7 p.m., Spring Hope Community Building, 104 Community St.
• Aug. 15 — 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Bailey Chamber of Commerce, 6720 Main St.
• Aug. 1 — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Nashville Town Council chambers, 114 W. Church St.
• Aug. 3 — 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Harrison Family YMCA, 1000 Independence Drive.
• Aug. 4 — 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Environmental Services Building, 1221 Thorpe Road.
• Aug. 6 — Noon to 6 p.m., Englewood Presbyterian Church, 100 S. Englewood Drive.
• Aug. 7 — 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Englewood Presbyterian Church, 100 S. Englewood Drive.
• Aug. 13 — 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 3224 Woodlawn Ave.
• Aug. 13 — 2-6 p.m., Parkwood Baptist Church, 1731 Hunter Hill Road.
• Aug. 14 — 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Golden East Crossing Mall, 1100 N. Wesleyan Blvd.
• Aug. 4 — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Joyner’s Funeral Home, 4100 U.S. 264 NW.
• Aug. 11 — 3-7 p.m., Eagles Baptist Church, 184 N.C. 124 W.
• Aug. 5 — 2:30-6:30 p.m., Sunset Church of God, 1709 Anaconda Road.