Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
The American Red Cross urges eligible donors to be the lifeline for patients in need this holiday season by making an appointment to give blood or platelets.
Those who come out to give from Nov. 18 through Dec. 18 will receive a $5 Amazon.com gift card via email, courtesy of Suburban Propane. Restrictions apply; see amazon.com/gc-legal. Additionally, those who come to give Nov. 27-30 will receive an exclusive long-sleeve T-shirt while supplies last.
As schedules fill with holiday parties, shopping and fun with friends and family, many blood and platelet donors delay giving. That may lead to delays in treatments for patients relying on blood. Right now, there is a critical need for type O blood donors.
How to donate
Download the American Red Cross blood donor app, visit RedCrossBlood.org, call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or enable the Blood Donor Skill on any Alexa Echo device to make an appointment or for more information.
All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 in most states (16 with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Blood and platelet donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass to complete their pre-donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, before arriving at the blood drive. To get started, follow the instructions at RedCrossBlood.org/RapidPass or use the blood donor app.
Upcoming blood drives
• Nov. 25 — 2:30-7 p.m., Nashville United Methodist Church, 209 E. Washington St.
• Nov. 26 — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Nash County Senior Center, 103 N. Alston St.
• Nov. 27 — 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Harrison Family YMCA, 1000 Independence Drive.
• Nov. 30 — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Golden East Crossing Mall, 1100 N. Wesleyan Blvd.
• Dec. 2 — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Edgecombe Community College Rocky Mount, 225 Tarboro St.
• Dec. 3 — 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Environmental Services Building, 1221 Thorpe Road.
• Dec. 7 — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Firestone, 1001 N. Wesleyan Blvd.
• Dec. 8 — 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Word Tabernacle Church, 821 Word Plaza.
• Dec. 12 — Noon to 6 p.m., Englewood Presbyterian Church, 100 S. Englewood Drive.
• Dec. 13 — 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Englewood Presbyterian Church, 100 S. Englewood Drive.
• Dec. 15 — 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Word Tabernacle Church, 821 Word Plaza.
• Dec. 18 — 1:30-6 p.m., Sunset Avenue Baptist Church, 3732 Sunset Ave.
• Nov. 24 — Noon to 5 p.m., St. Therese Catholic Church, 700 Nash St. NE.
• Nov. 26 — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Wilson Country Club, 4509 Country Club Drive.
• Dec. 8 — 12:30-3:30 p.m., Lowe’s Home Improvement, 2501 Forest Hills Road.
• Dec. 10 — 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Joyner’s Funeral Home, 4100 U.S. 264 NW.
• Nov. 25 — 1:30-7 p.m.. Little Rock Original Free Will Baptist Church, 6115 Little Rock Church Road.
• Dec. 18 — 3-7 p.m., Mary Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 6202 Wiggins Mill Road.